Minutes of the Meeting of EACSL,
Marseille, 30 August 2016, 18.00
Present (11 persons)
Patrick Baillot, Emmanuel Beffara, Ulrich Berger, Daniel De
Carvalho, Anuj Dawar, Giulio
Guerrieri, Lauri Hella, Laurent Regnier, Pierre-Alain Reynier, Luigi
Santocanale, Jean-Marc Talbot.
(1) Confirmation of agenda
(2) Choice of secretary (Minutes of the meeting)
- Proposal: Patrick Baillot.
- Approved by acclamation.
(3) Report on General Meeting 2015 and Accounting
(3a) Minutes of 2015
- Resolution on acceptance of the report.
- Approved unanimously.
(3c) Election of accountants for 2016
- Proposed candidates: Achim Blumensath and Christof Löding.
- Resolution on accountants.
- Achim Blumensath and Christof Löding were elected unanimously.
(4) Changes of the Board of EACSL
- Sad loss of Helmut Veith, who served many years with distinction on the
board, and passed away on 12 March, 2016.
- Luke Ong has served ten years on the board of the EACSL, and his term
comes to an end. Motion of thanks for his outstanding service on the
- Benedikt Löwe has served as the representative of CiE on the board of
the EACSL and now retires from the position. The Association CiE has
nominated Florin Manea to serve on the board. Motion to elect Florin
Manea to the board.
- Approved by majority (6 votes in favor, 4 abstentions).
- Luca Aceto has served as the representative of the EATCS on the board of
the EACSL. As his term as EATCS president has come to an end, he wishes
to retire from the board. The EATCS has nominated Thomas Schwentick to
serve on the EACSL board. Motion to elect Thomas Schwentick to the
- Approved by majority (7 votes in favor, 3 abstentions).
- Proposal to elect Ulrich Berger to the board for a period of five
- Approved by unanimity.
There have been some discussions during the election of the new members of the board, mainly due to
the lack of information about some candidates. A suggestion raised for future meetings: could candidates
for an election to the board who cannot be present at the meeting send a short letter to present their
(5) Report on the Ackermann Award 2016
- The jury consisted of: Thierry Coquand; Anuj Dawar; Orna Kupferman;
Daniel Leivant; Dale Miller; Luke Ong; Jean-Éric Pin; Simona Ronchi Della
- 15 nominations for the Ackermann Award were received in 2016.
- Since 2010, the Ackermann Award has been generously sponsored by the
Kurt Gödel Society. This arrangement is coming to an end and a new
sponsor is being sought.
(6) Report on CSL 2016
Report on CSL 2016, presented by Jean-Marc
Talbot and Laurent Regnier (PC co-chairs of CSL 2016).
- Summary: 122 abstracts and 97 full versions submitted, 37 papers
accepted. 57 fully registered participants, 4 invited speakers, 7
OC members and 12 local participants.
Comparison with previous years: the number of participants was slightly
below the number expected. Discussion about whether this might be partly
due to the simultaneous occurrence of other logic events, and about whether
the satellite workshops brought many additional participants or not. A
question was raised, and proposed to the board for reflexion: could it be a
good idea to ask the workshop organizers to include in their registration
fees the subscription to EACSL?
- The PC co-chairs stressed that they found that the
collaboration with LIPICS for the proceedings has been very good.
(7) Future CSL Conferences
- CSL 2017 will be held in Stockholm, 20-24 August 2017. The meeting will
be co-located with the ASL Logic Colloquium. A
- CSL 2018 will be held in Birmingham in September.
(8) Constitutional Amendment
The German Tax authorities have requested a change to our constitutional
arrangement to specify what happens to the EACSL assets in case the
association is dissolved. The proposal is to replace Article IV of the
constitution by the following:
If the Association is dissolved the net proceeds remaining after payment
of all liabilities and debts due to third parties will be given to
Schloss Dagstuhl - Leibniz Center for Informatics.
And, in the German version:
Bei Auflösung der Gesellschaft wird das verbleibende Nettovermögen nach
Zahlung aller Verbindlichkeiten und Schulden gegenüber Dritten der
Organisation "Schloss Dagstuhl - Leibniz Center for Informatics"
- Approved unanimously.
(9) Any Other Business
- Luigi Santocanale asks whether in order to try to attract more
participants, the board might consider the idea of organizing a poster
session. The question of the possible attribution of a prize for the best
talk has also been raised.